Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Rules of Freedom

We often attribute good health to two things: nutrition and exercise. And often we'd be right; that these are the most integral components--foundational even-- in maintaining good health.

However, many experts take a holistic stance. Meaning, they explain that there are various other parts that contribute to our well being, too, including, but not limited to, our relationships, careers, finances, home environment, and spiritual food, just to name a few. Seems to make sense, right? And if we're honest with ourselves, we recognize how many of these factors are almost always in flux (given the amounts of stress placed on each), which can make life difficult to maintain healthy balances.

While I don't necessarily know exactly what "balance" means in terms of each person's health, but especially with mine, it doesn't mean I stop trying to "be" healthy. This, of course, never guarantees endless bliss and energy. In fact, some days trying to be healthy just plain stinks. But every so often clairvoyance comes, whether it's a great, feel good day, a wonderful edifying conversation, or the joyous peace in Jesus (even in the midst of a bad day) that reminds me I am God's child. It becomes clear that some of these things I can control, while others descend without expectation, and simply as a gift from God.  

So back to what I can control. Striving for good health, to me, starts with what I eat.  Though not the end all, it certainly helps sets the stage for a day of better nourishment. But then there are those darn cravings.  (And they don't go away, I'm told.)  Even the healthiest (and honest) gurus admit to caving in and binging from time to time.  While I've found that certain junk foods do not interest me like they used to, it's often likely that as soon as I mention one specifically, I start thinking about and wanting it!  Aren't we such weirdly wired creatures? I can't be alone on this, right?

And that's okay. For me, and most of us, it's simply about being honest. In spite of cravings and shortcomings, I love learning about how nutrition improves health and can heal, especially when people are in crisis. That's what has intrigued and motivated me the most to help create this blog. It's never been just about losing weight, but about presenting the growing scientific and medical evidence which shows that we can reverse many diet related diseases like diabetes, inflammation and cancers.  I myself was on the precipice of some very serious arthritis, which has since significantly subsided. Also, my husband's IBS is gone. Aaaaand we've both lost weight almost effortlessly. All through eating a highly raw and plant based diet.  Yes, we still have the occasional junk food fest, and cook more in the winter months. Only now, when we start to feel off, healthier habits have been ingrained and we have more tools to help get ourselves back on track.

Nevertheless, the other, more holistic point experts make is if you want to eat chocolate cake, bacon or fried chicken on occasion with the people you love and love to spend time with, then that can be--and IS--as much of a health protocol as juicing and eating kale by the truckload. Seriously. There's evidence to back up the good feelings and immune system boosts we receive by simply feeling secure, loved and taking pleasure in our food.

It's all actually quite freeing, don't you think? As a wise woman once told me, "It's all about knowing the rules, and knowing when you can break them."  . . .Okay, she was referring to grammar, but I think there's a take away in that for our health, too.

Yes, whole foods and exercise are the foundations, the "rules" if you will, for good health. But each of our bodies are a labyrinth of intricate wirings, of chemical reactions and fluctuating hormones which all need to be fed differently throughout our lives.  And while I will continue to recommend to anyone who wants to know how we've gotten healthier on what to eat --through a plant based diet rich in greens, seaweeds, fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts, seeds and whole grains --sometimes one does themselves a better favor to dance a jig around the kitchen table with their toddler ...while eating cake. We'll work on whether it's a raw food cake later.

Salud!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis