Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Garden Variety

Gardening's always intrigued me . . .but just as Bette Midler once said, "From a distance." Growing up, I was more or less all about the end result.

Nah, I kid. I mean, it was fun to watch everything grow, but as far as taking care of the microcrop (and plants in general), that was risky. Survival was never guaranteed. My mother might be to blame for this one. (Sorry, Mom!)  We had nary a live green in the house during our childhood due to extreme neglect. Which is to be understood as we, the children, were the ones who had her full attention. (Good recovery?) 

Nevertheless, I must credit my husband for influencing and getting me turned on to green thumbery.  Since we've moved and settled into our home I am really enjoying the process, and learning each year how to improve.  


I just planted this pot of basil (or is it cilantro or parsley?!), along with four other pots of said herbs. This one sprouted first after three days. Pretty cool!


We've dubbed the above section our "green edibles."  We've got everything from kale to swiss chard to spinach and dandelions. (And other weeds.) All we need to do is pick, wash and throw in the blender or salad bowl.  
There's even a raspberry bush toward the end over there. Though, we'll be lucky if we see one berry this year. 

It was an experiment, really.  This section used to be for decorative plants and flowers. Instead of ripping it out and grass seeding it like my hubs wanted to, I suggested we try to make use of it. 

But unfortunately since this area only gets about 4 hours of sun, it isn't doing as well as we'd hoped.  So, we might reevaluate to relocate the greens elsewhere (in more direct sunlight) for next year.  


Here's our main garden. Four beefsteak tomato plants are coming along nicely, along with some basil sprouting in between.  


Behind the tomatoes, that "U" shape around the center aisle, we've got summer squash, carrots, peas, butternut squash, and spaghetti squash. 


Our far right aisle, this is one of the squashes, I believe, along with cucumbers and, you're never gonna guess, more squash. 
(I really don't know what's what as far as the squash goes since the leaves all look very similar.)


Our center aisle is a mix of broccoli, lettuce, beets and kale. 


Here's a pot of cilantro I planted over a month ago. Too slow and not enough room.
Hence trying with another pot. Hey, I'm learning! 

I might have to get more serious about cilantro for next year. Whether it's a Mexican, Indian or Asian dish, I love me some cilantro in the salsas, curries, sauces and broths.  


Here are six avocado pits we're trying to sprout.  They won't bear fruit for another 2 to 3 years, but they are hearty trees and can be kept indoors in the winter.  

My plan is to gift a few of these to my family once they've successfully sprouted.  
Lest our home become "The DeGroot Conservatory." 

But I guess there are worse things. 
(The show "Hoarders suddenly comes to mind!)


And since I'm a sucker (in general, but especially) for books and bargains, I found this at the American Veterans Thrift store yesterday.  

"Practical Gardening Encyclopedia"
Copyright 1977 . . .
B.C.
(Ha, but wouldn't that be awesome?)  
"Learn agro techniques from Cain and Able . . .though the former might just sacrifice his crop and bolt."

Ahh, gardening (and Bible) humor. 

So how about you guys? How're your lovely gardens doing? 
Any suggestions, too, are welcome!



2 comments:

  1. As a warning, my parents had a large avocado tree that they moved outside in the summer and inside in winter. Not only was it heavy, it never produced (never even had a flower). Looked cool though.
    And when I say large, by the time the house burned down it was 6 feet tall. Luckily my mom was smart and had the pot it was in on casters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should probably clarify that the tree was started 7 years before the house burned down.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis