Saturday, September 15, 2012

Spring Rolls

Spring rolls are such a delightful treat around here. You can stuff the wrap with whatever your heart's desire. Then add a little dipping sauce and this can be an appetizer or main course. 


Rice wrappers are one of the most unique food inventions I've ever come across. These buggers will wrap and stick like glue with just the littlest bit of water.  

Odd, they say each package holds "approximately" 12 wrappers.
 I've never had one with less than 15!

I've found pie dishes with about a cup of water work best to soak the wrapper for about 5-10 seconds before stuffing it.


Place the damp wrapper on a cutting board or dry surface . . .


. . .and stuff it!

Since we try to eat lighter and raw as often as possible, I stuffed the rice wrappers today with whatever veggies I had in the fridge: avocado, green pepper, red onion, shredded carrots, celery, and cilantro.

Then you wrap it up like a burrito...the bottom part folds over the veggies, then bring up the sides and roll it away from you nice and secure. 

You'll see what I mean about how easy it is as it sticks together.



I had enough veggies for about 9 wraps 
(Hmmm, I spy only 7. Someone dove in early!).
Oh, wait, that was me. 


Then I made the dipping sauce.

Here's what I threw in the blender:

1 TBS lemon juice and lime juice
1 cup liquid aminos (or whatever kind of soy sauce you use)
1/2 cup water
2 cloves garlic
A small nob of ginger, peeled
1/2 cup cilantro
A squirt of sriracha, as desired
2 TBS organic peanut butter


I tell you what, this dipping sauce really highlighted the celery in the spring rolls for me. It was so savory, tangy and fresh. 

In the past I've added hemp seeds, almond butter (a little more filling) and cabbage. The sky's the limit. You can add meat and even fry these bad boys up.

This recipe took me all of about 20 minutes; to cut the veggies up, wrap 'em, and blend the sauce. 
Not bad.  


Yup, somebody had a bite or two too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis