Friday, March 30, 2012

How to make a Smoothie

There is no one way to make a smoothie. In fact I don't think any of my smoothies taste the same day to day. Melissa and I do not make them the same way either. Maybe they would taste the same if every ingredient was measured, but I am a handful of this and that kind of gal. "Sure, that looks about right!" The focus is raw produce.

Ingredients are also dependent on what I have. A staple smoothie at my house will be loaded with kale, broccoli, celery, baby spinach, carrots, frozen strawberries, a banana, spirulina, water, and sometimes a tiny bit of agave nectar. Sometimes I will substitute apples with pears because my husband is allergic to apples. I totally load my blender! Usually I load a 9 cup blender with 11 cups of veggies. Other smoothies I have made may include blueberries, mango, pineapple, cucumber, tomatoes, and an assortment of other fresh or frozen produce, and they taste great too. I play around with the smoothies to fit my taste buds and to change things up. I find when I add more fruits and veggies than I would normally, they taste funny. So I like to keep them simple. Bananas are in all my smoothies because they are cheap and add a natural sweetness to them.

Smoothies can be made to suit your own taste buds and cravings. But I will say,
before Melissa introduced this to me, the only veggies I ate raw were carrots and salads doused in dressing. So the idea of sampling each ingredient alone was not appetizing. It took me just doing it to realize the blend of all the fruits and veggies together tasted amazing. Now I actually developed an appreciation for this food and even crave it. Salads with dressing on them are not even appetizing now.

I even make smoothie treats! One of my favorites is my banana chocolate smoothie. I'll take a banana, serving of chocolate almond milk, ice, a spoonful of organic peanut butter or almond butter (with no preservatives and non-homogenized), maybe a little water, and blend. This is such a heavenly little treat for when I feel like I need something sweet.

So how do I make my smoothies? However I want! What's important is that raw produce is most of what I consume on a daily basis. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. That banana chocolate smoothie sounds more like my type of smoothie. I love fruit smoothies, but have never had the courage to add veggies to them, they just don't sound appetizing. Maybe I'll have to try them sometime since I keep seeing them mentioned here. Will I be surprised by the taste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll be surprised how the fruit covers up the veggie taste. That being said, every smoothie comes out a little different as Charissa said, and if the taste is not where you want it, then I recommend adding a banana or apple to sweeten it up.

      Over time the taste buds will change and be able to tolerate a little more veggie in the beverage. Have fun experimenting, Alisha!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis