Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I LOVE BEING DENSE! ...Nutrient dense!



That’s right folks! Nutrient dense is a new term introduced to me by my sister, Melissa. What started off as a mission to achieve my vain ideal soon turned me on to the world of health and nutrition. My whole life I strived to look as good as I possible. Despite being thin in high school, I was never healthy. My lunch consisted of potato puffs! But because I was so active, I was able to stay trim. In my twenties, I continued to eat poorly, did not work out nearly as much, and in turn, gained a whole bunch of weight. I practically invited health problems into my life. 

I was overweight when I got married. Then later during my pregnancy, I was diabetic and suffered from high blood pressure. My mood swings were inconsistent and I was always exhausted. In addition, I've struggled with eating disorders (both over eating and bulimia) since high school--which obviously did not achieve anything because I was still morbidly obese. What's even sadder, when I look back, is that I actually thought I was healthy. I would tell people… “I don’t know why I can’t lose weight, I am eating healthy!”

This may sound like I am just conscious of my weight. (Well, in the beginning I was, and I would be lying if I said I still didn’t care…I AM a woman!)  BUT, the concept of health has now been in the forefront of both mine and my sister’s mind. In order for my sister and I to have the “diet” that we have now was certainly not something achieved overnight. In fact, for me personally, it has taken 10 months of fine tuning to get where I am.  And I still have so much to learn.

As a result of having a nutrient dense lifestyle, I am “hungry” to gain more knowledge and continue on this path since I'm happier, in more control, energetic and healthy! I do not consider myself an expert, but as I slip up from time to time, I am starting to realize more and more how bad the food out there is that I was putting into my body. I also want to make sure that I help teach my family to obtain good habits.

I started my journey because I was inspired by others. I am so thankful for my husband to have supported and motivated me, as well as my sister who helped introduce me to an even healthier way to be. I would also have to thank so many of my friends and family for their support. My friend Danielle Maziarz made me realize that reaching my goals is possible through her own incredible journey. I have realized that there are no excuses and you have to believe in yourself. I never want to come across as pushy or a know-it-all…because I’m not. I have realized my potential and I see the potential in others. I hope that people enjoy the blog that we put together, and who knows, you may want to become dense too!

1 comment:

  1. Well said Charissa!! So many of us eat poorly in our teens and 20s and it effects not just our waist line, but our moods, and periods and our mental health!! Your transformation of mind and body is inspirational. Keep healthy!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis