Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Settling In

There comes a point on this (semi) conscious health journey where you just settle in.  At least that's how it's been for me.  The tools and knowledge gained have been invaluable and my (and my family's) habits have, to a very large degree, changed.  Do we eat meat, processed and refined food from time to time? Yes. As a pastor's family it is difficult to avoid. Plus, we're not currently disciplining ourselves as when we were fasting. However, compared to years ago, we are eating less and better--which is a huge success in my book.

The moment I feel like my body is having an adverse reaction (feeling puffy, bloated, joint pain or stomach upset), I now know what to do. Water, lemon cayenne pepper tea, time . . .and my "snake oils"(besides smoothies) if necessary. :) As time goes on, we may become more or less stalwart about this . . .though I do predict/hope/intend to ramp up eating better and better as the years go by.

The other interesting thing that seems to be occurring lately are cycles of fatigue and energy. A couple of months ago I could have bottled up my energy and sold it I had so much. However, in the last month or so I seem to be settling into a regular daily grind, and even sometimes feeling lethargic.  One thing I learned from the Boutenko video posted last week is to switch up the greens we use on a daily or weekly basis.  So, I've been oscillating between kale, spinach, lettuce greens, celery, and beet greens. Already in the last week I feel a little bit better and revived, so that's good. It also doesn't hurt that I am exercising a little bit more, too.

Which is something we should maybe discuss more at length in the future. If you read the "About Us" page, you'll note how serious of an athlete and exercise enthusiast I've always been.  Since my dietary changes, however, I have been intentionally exercising for less time but more intensity (Peak 8/Interval training) and doing more moderate things like walking. When I'm consistent it really works well for me. Which brings me to the problem: consistency. Perhaps a little bit of arrogance and/or complacency set in as I was seeing the numbers on the scale drop with such little physical effort, that I congruently stopped exercising as much, too. But, as the numbers creep up on the scale and my overall feelings of health diminish, I'm motivated to get back on track. Sometimes . . .well, most of the time.

So, I don't know if any of you can relate to this, but please share your experiences. It's always great to hear others' perspectives.

If you've made a conscious effort to revamp your diet and exercise, what peaks, valleys or other experiences have you encountered?


2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis