Monday, April 2, 2012

A Consumer (Me) Reports

Have you written us off as crazy, quack-job moms yet? (C'mon, I would if this were me two years ago.)  Some of you might be thinking it's impossible to carry on as we do when you're on a budget. And have a family. And an appetite. And...insert blank.

Hopefully by now we've explained how slow a process this has been for us. Not only enjoying a more plant based diet, but learning how to maximize purchasing live plant-based food (as in, where to get them CHEAP) is our aim.

So what does that look like?

First, for us, this means forgoing the "organic"quality of food for now (To be explained later). Also, starting up our own gardens, and finally, buying only what we need for the week.

Much thanks to my in-laws for sending me a Consumer Reports subscription, since I just received this month's in the mail today. Coincidentally, the cover article talks about "Paying too much" for food. Here's a list of 11 grocers who are ranked as the most affordable.

1. Trader Joe's
2. Fareway Stores
3. Costco
4. Market Basket
5. Stater Bros.
6. WinCo Foods
7. Aldi
8. ShopRite
9. Sam's Club
10. BJ's Wholesale Club
11. Walmart Supercenter

I hope at least one of those are in your areas.

I frequent Aldi's and PriceRite (not listed) for their produce.  They have an excellent selection, and I make a point not to spend over $100/week.  In fact, I believe there was one week I spent under $70.  For a family of three, that's not too shabby.

It should be no surprise that Whole Foods ranked on the very expensive side.  And if money were no object--and if Whole Foods were around here--I'd go.

But back to our other strategies: I'm hoping our garden has a good yield this year as we're planting more than the last: kale, swiss chard, lettuce, cilantro, parsley, basil, beets, tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, butternut and spaghetti squash, peas, carrots, and cucumbers.  This will hopefully off set the GMO (genetically modified organisms) that we consume through the non-organic produce.

But let's face it. If you're anything like how I used to be, implementing significantly more fruits and vegetables into the diet is going to be a good thing, whether they're organic or not. A swathe of greasy french fries versus a genetically modified apple is a no brainer. Don't get me wrong, getting into the nitty gritty (especially on a cellular level) about what you're consuming and how it affects the body is important, but unless someone has another suggestion within the budget that we're operating from, we're making due. And it seems to be working well health-wise.

I'd love to hear our readers' insights about Agricultural Co-Op's ...what the cost/benefit ratios are, the marked differences are on how it feels eating more organically, etc. We have a couple Co-Ops in our area, but I just can't justify the cost at this stage. Maybe you can convert me!

Blessed Holy Week!

The eyes of all look to you, o Lord
And you give them their food at the proper time.
You open your hand, 
and satisfy the desire of every living thing. 
Psalm 145: 15-16



4 comments:

  1. You are awesome! I enjoy reading all this information and admire your dedication! Thank you for inspiring me to get back to eating right again!

    Reena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Reena, thank you. This is high praise. I wish you well! Check in from time to time and let us know how you're doing, would you?

      -Melissa

      Delete
  2. Co-ops and CSAs can be great or not, depending on the set up. I loved the one we belonged to in KS, I liked being forced to think seasonally more than normal. Just make sure that you pay attention to what you're signing up for (I found the one here was not so great)

    One thing I did learn interacting with small local farmers was that there are many out there who never use chemicals and only grow heirloom varities that will never go through the "certified organic" process. My favorite farmer in this catagory went to our church, let my kids run wild in his fields, and encouraged taste testing while picking.....if you've never had pick your own asparagus, you're missing out (kids love it too).

    I prefer local non-organic to imported organic, but that's another discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat,

      Thanks for the info. Yeah, I've heard some Co-ops have certain strings attached, and you're not guaranteed a good variety depending on the season's yield.

      That's good info about the local farmers...I'd love to pick me some asparagus.

      Yeah. Thoughts about your last statement . . .is it the inequitable standards/pesticides issue?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis