Sunday, April 1, 2012

Health Investments

Blessed Palm Sunday!

Today I'd like to share the following items/food I consider health investments.

Pictured below from left to right:

1. Blender (Ninja--not my favorite, but it was a gift, so I'm stuck with it until I can get a Vita-mix or whatever Montel Williams' blender is called. Sorry, mom.) This thing is essential for smoothies and soups, which I have daily.  I've tried to do dessert blends, but the Ninja isn't the best with completely liquifying and emulsifying food, so yeah. But before the Ninja, I had an Oster blender, and it worked great-it was just too small for the amounts of food we need blended.  

2. Food Processor This is where the magic happens: Appetizers, desserts, raw garden burgers, you name it, the processor probably does it. Okay, it didn't get me the winning lottery ticket, but you know,  minus that, it does it all.   

3. Fruit/Veggie Spiralizer. So far I've used it on squash, cucumber and sweet potatoes. They look so pretty! Definitely gives that gourmet presentation.  Those recipes will be up sooner or later. I would say this is an optional item if you're just getting started.  


Up Next:
Our Superfoods!

Right to left (switching it up on ya):
Spirulina
Chlorella
Astaxanthin

I HIGHLY recommend reading this free ebook about Spirulina and Chlorella. It's 39 pages, but they're small pages. Give it a whirl, I think you'll be amazed.  

 Spirulina and chlorella are micro green algae. Astaxanthin is a potent antioxidant extracted from krill and algae. 
 I can't tell you all enough how important these foods have been for our diet. My energy has skyrocketed, my skin has never looked clearer. I can exercise more efficiently and run so much faster for longer (sure, being lighter probably helps with that, too) In many ways, I feel like I've regained my high school and college fitness back. 

I advise you to do your own research on brands, but through that ebook, the author will give you a great head start, balancing quality and budget. That is why I've chosen the spirulina and chlorella brands that I have.  

As far as astaxanthin goes, I've been doing some preliminary research on it (all with great reviews). And instead of ordering it online (like I do with my chlorella), I found it at my local health food store. I've used NOW's brand and now Bioastin's brand. I can't tell a major difference between the two, meaning, they both work great, give me tons more oxygen (it literally feels like my skin is "breathing," like I have icy hot on it throughout the day) when paired with the other two micro green algae.  


Hawiian Pacifica Spirulina (16oz), Kyoto Chlorella (1500 tabs),
Bioastin Astaxanthin (120 softgels)
They all last approx 2-3 months for Adam and I.
Knox has Spirulina (in the smoothies) and a tab or two of chlorella on occasion. 

Finally, my food dehydrator.

This is an investment I opted for after many months of smoothies.  
For those who don't know, food dehydrators allow enzymes in raw food to remain in tact (as long as the heat does not exceed 118 degrees Fahrenheit.)  

Cookies, fruit roll ups, dried fruit, chips and endless possibilities (jerky of every kind) can be made on this. 

My tip?
 If you don't have $300 to put toward a FD, AND you are still in dietary transition, I recommend using your oven for various raw/vegan recipes, and just putting it on very low heat.
  

Knox loves the fruit roll-ups.
I love the cookies, corn chips and dried fruit I've made on this.
Heck, I love it all. 

In future posts I'll be sharing other food staples that I use in various recipes.

Okay, I think that's it-- hope you've enjoyed the tour. We're off to church. 
Have a great day!

*While I certainly recommend asking your medical doctor before implementing Spirulina, chlorella and astaxanthin into your diet, it is worth noting that some doctors are not all up to speed on the benefits of the algae. Presenting several articles to them may help them understand that spirulina and chlorella (those two, especially) are not supplements, herbs, synthetic vitamins or minerals. They are foods that contain in-tact synergistic vitamins and minerals that are of great benefit to people's health. As with anything, we recommend starting slow, as various detoxifying reactions occur. We've learned through personal experience that the body needs time to adjust to all the changes. But it sure feels good once it does! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis