Friday, April 13, 2012

pH pRiNcIpLeS

When I got started on this wellness trek about two years ago, my interest focused in on learning more about the diet-disease correlation.  Fumbling through pages upon pages of websites, articles and stacks of books, I found my answer.

Over and over I kept reading that disease cannot survive in an alkaline pH.  

Basically what that means is when we put more alkaline things into our bodies (most vegetables and fruits, clean air and water), we raise our pH. (Optimally between 7.0 and 7.4)  Disease loves and thrives in acidity. So, when we ingest sugars, pollution, animal products (which are all very acidic), our bodies' pH lowers and becomes a potential breeding ground for sickness; mucous, inflammation, and other chronic degenerative diseases.  If you don't believe me, check out the thousands of websites and libraries on the subject. Here's one to get you started. Our resource page has many others.   

However, the beauty is that alkalizing the body can reverse the symptoms of disease and in many cases, heal the body.  Alkalizing is labeled myriad things: "The Gerson Miracle/Therapy," a "form of detoxification," and "eating raw" ...among others, I'm sure. The principles are all the same: create an internal milieu in the body that runs disease out and provides optimal nutrition and therefore health to the individual.  

The one thing I must emphasize is that eating nutrient dense foods is one thing; but if you are sick or in a real bad way with things like diabetes, inflammation of every stripe (CFS, MS, arthritis, fibromyalgia, etc) or cancer, alkalizing your body should be the focus, if not supplemental, to other recommended treatments since these diseases thrive in the acidic pH.  

Of course, I'm no professional, but dangit if I don't read a flippen lot.  I'd love to hear from others who can confirm or attest to these findings.  The one thing unhelpful is to think that this is a cure all. The body does age and weaken and die.

But it sure makes sense not to want to speed it up if we can help it! Riiight???

Oh, and if anyone is wondering if they can become too alkaline, that's not likely since even air and water can be very acidic. Look at a cut apple or old rusty bumper. I mean, that's (among other reasons and causes) why we die...as our bodies age, we are constantly fighting oxidation, which is quite literally air breaking us down. My theological mind gets some mileage out of this concept in relation to the Holy Spirit. But I'll digress since it's proper to start with theology (God's Word) than with science.  

Here's a link that lists alkaline and acidic fruits, vegetables, lugumes, nuts, seeds, sprouts, minerals and vitamins.  

Finding out your pH is fairly easy. Most convenience store pharmacies have pH strips. All you do is test saliva or urine on the strip and you can see where your body fares, and thus, what foods you may need to eat to maintain or adjust your pH.  Makes sense, right?  

I'll be defending my pH-Duh dissertation this Fall. 

Them's jokes. Salud!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis