Sunday, April 15, 2012

StRAWberry Pie

As promised, I remade this beautiful little pie with some tweaks--not because the recipe I got it from was off--but because I did not follow the directions right the first time.

My method has its own personal flare. (Okay, really it's because I'm a little lazy and want to eat sooner than some other gourmet raw foodists. So I do things a little bit differently.)
Flare . . .Lazy. Whatev.

All told, it seems "two's a charm." 
It came out better than the first time, and sooooo luscious. 
This is my new favorite dessert.  
Enjoy!


Ingredients:
Crust
Pitted Dates 1/2 cup
Water 2 TBS
Almonds 1 cup
Cocoa Powder 1/4 cup
Coconut Crystals or Agave or Stevia 1/4 cup
Ground flaxseed 1/2 cup

Filling
Pitted Dates 1/2 cup
Water 2 TBS
3 cups frozen or regular strawberries
Cashews (soaked for 6+ hours) 1.5 cups
Salt 1/4 tsp
Apple Cider Vinegar 1 TBS
Vanilla 1 TBS

Step 1: Soak cashews overnight. They should expand to about 2 cups.



Step 2: In a food processor, add dates and water and blend for about 3 minutes, scraping sides as needed till paste-y and somewhat smooth.
Add the rest of the ingredients (minus the flaxseed) and blend for about 3 minutes until almond crust resembles a crumble-y meal texture.  
Lightly spray pie dish with cooking spray.
Transfer crust to pie dish and mold to dish.
I use the flat part of my measuring cup to spread evenly like so. 


If the crust is too wet, add the ground flaxseed to the top of it to spread more easily.


Step ...I lost count:  Get ready for the filling. 

In the cleaned out food processor, prepare the date paste first, just like we did for the crust. 


After the dates are paste-y, add the rest of the ingredients then blend for 5 minutes until creamy smooth.
LUSCIOUS!


Transfer filling atop of crust. 


Spread evenly with spatula.
Make your own cool design.

I call this "Pinwheel." 


Put that lovely little pie in the freezer for at least 2-3 hours to firm up.
Or, if you are saving this overnight or for a day or so, take out 2 hours prior to eating. It will still be chilled and somewhat firm, but not rock hard. 


I don't think I've mentioned (or paraphrased) how beautiful and delicious this is and how happy this dessert makes me AT ALL in this whole post.


So let me just tell you how beautiful and delicious it is, and how happy this dessert makes me.


Very very. 

From my kitchen to yours... 

Bon appetit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis